Ugh, pretty sure I have senioritis. Is that even possible to have in grad school? I’m just done.
I don’t know; I’m simply dreading the new class that’s starting on April 30th. It’s funny, one month of only taking one class instead of two and I’m completely spoiled!
But anyway, let’s talk food. I’m pretty sure my love of Southwestern/Mexican cuisine is pretty well documented. As you can see from recipes like my Chipotle Marinated Steak with Beans and Corn, Mexican Mayonnaise Chicken, Fish Tostadas with Guacamole or my Turkey Salsa Negra over Acorn Squash.
Funnily enough, while I enjoy Mexican food it’s my husband that’s the real die-hard. I’m pretty sure I could feed him burritos, enchiladas, fajitas, etc. on a daily basis without any complaints from him. The man even thought he would end up marrying a woman of Hispanic origin! Which basically adds up to us eating a lot of Southwest inspired dishes since I know my husband will love it.
I saw this recipe on the cover of Clean Eating and immediately wanted to give it a shot, influenced by my love of meatballs.
Serious Side Note: I freaking love meatballs in all their forms. I’m not sure why having the meat in a small ball versus an actual piece of meat makes me like it so much more. Maybe it’s because of all the fun stuff you can mix in to them?
Plus this had the added bonus of being a one dish meal and being cooked in my new cast iron, so this was a particular favorite. Add in the fact that the majority of the ingredients are pantry staples for me and it was a definite must make.
If you wanted you could definitely use all ground turkey or all ground beef.
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- ¾ tsp Spanish smoked paprika or Chipotle Chile powder if you like heat
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Dash cinnamon (about 1/8 tsp)
- 8 oz ground turkey breast
- 8 oz at least 95% lean ground beef
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 Tbsp whole wheat panko
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen yellow or white corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine all of the seasoning mix in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs, one third of seasoning mix (just eyeball it) and mix well. Shape into 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 2 – 3 minutes until onion is starting to become translucent and remove from pan.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp of olive oil in skillet. Add meatballs and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Add corn, beans, zucchini, tomatoes, remaining seasoning mix, onions, garlic, stock and lime juice and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings (more salt, pepper, seasonings, lime juice, etc.) Stir in cilantro and serve.
Original Recipe Here
This recipe is being shared at the NewlyWed Recipe Linky