Sorry for my lack of posting last week. I had two posts planned and then life happened, you know how that goes
As a quick overview of this past crazy week – I’m appearing in a video for my work, so I lost a good chunk of Tuesday’s work day to being interviewed/videoed which means I spent Tuesday night catching up.
On Wednesday we went to put in an offer on a house…only to find out it had gone under contract that morning! So Wednesday night was spent looking into other options and re-assessing the areas we’ve been looking in.
Since we were back on the house hunt, on Thursday night we went to view a couple more houses.
Friday night was eaten up by cleaning in preparation for a dinner for my husband’s family the next night.
Saturday was then taken up by last-minute grocery shopping and food prep for that night’s big dinner.
And Sunday got filled with the usual weekly chores – meal planning, grocery shopping, going to a few open houses and looking at some other listings. Admittedly I had time last night but…totally decided I deserved some recovery time so just relaxed and watched TV with the husband.
On that note of being crazy busy – enter in one of my favorite of all the small appliances, my slow cooker!
This is a great throw it all in the slow cooker and let it do its magic meal. In this instance, I used bone-in thighs, but you could easily sub whatever chicken pieces you had on hand. My only warning is that for me at least, I’m not a big fan of boneless chicken breasts in recipes like this. I think that breasts tend to get a little more dried out than I like, but that’s a personal preference. I’d at least try for bone-in breasts, or you could just disregard everything I’m saying and use boneless, skinless chicken breast if you really want, I’ll never know.
Combine the chicken with a bit of Cajun seasoning, and place on top of a bed of peppers, onions, celery, zucchini, okra and seasonings. Throw some canned diced tomatoes and hot sauce and put it on to cook. 8 hours later you’ve got a deliciously easy meal that’s perfect with a side of brown rice.
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into ¼ inch thick half-moons
- 1 cup of frozen sliced okra (no need to defrost)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp each thyme and granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp each freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 1 ¾ lb bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 large or 8 small)
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 14 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 – 2 Tbsp American hot sauce (like Frank’s Red Hot or Crystal)
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- In a small bowl combine smoked paprika through salt and set aside. Season chicken thighs with Cajun seasoning on both sides and set aside.
- In the bottom of a 6 qt slow cooker, layer peppers, onions and celery. Top with zucchini and okra. Sprinkle with paprika spice mix.
- Lay chicken thighs on top and pour over diced tomatoes. Pour on hot sauce. Cover and cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or until tender. Serve with freshly cooked rice and hot sauce at the table.
Nutritional Info is approximate but does include rice.