See what I was saying earlier when I talked about always defaulting to Asian inspired meals?
Yesterday, I wanted to make a slow cooker meal because I knew I wasn’t getting home until around 6 and we were going to a comedy show at Go Bananas in Montgomery that was starting at 8. We didn’t have a lot of time so I didn’t want to mess with making dinner and since we knew we were going to Glier’s Goettafest Saturday night, I also didn’t want to eat out and spend money.
What I had: A 1.5 lb pork loin and my pantry staples. Thinking…thinking…thinking…IDEA!
I’ll admit that this isn’t the most creative dish out there (It was 6:30 am and at that time in the morning I can barely force my eyes open), but can’t be beat for ease of cooking.
- 1.5 lb pork loin
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (more or less depending on level of spice that you want)
- 1 Tbsp hoisin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 onion, diced finely
- Mix soy sauce, honey, chili garlic sauce, hoisin, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place diced onion in bottom of slow cooker. Top with pork then pour liquid mixture over pork and onion. Cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and either shred or cut into large chunks. Pour sauce into grease separator and place in fridge for 5 minute to speed up the liquid/fat separation. Pour off fat and combine remaining sauce with pork.
That’s it, literally. I called my husband to get him to cook the rice for the meal so it would be ready when I got home. Since I had some chopped lettuce, onion, and tomato in my fridge leftover from prepping the side dishes for work, I just threw an Asian vinaigrette on it, sprinkled it with sesame seeds and called it a day.
My husband loved this and kept talking about how much he loved it even when we were walking into Go Bananas. I loved the ease of cooking. Since he had already made the rice in the rice cooker and I had him shred the meat and put it back in the Crockpot to keep warm before I got home, I literally just put the salad together and we were eating within 10 minutes of me walking through the door (I had to de-fat the sauce or it would have been quicker).
So if you’re like me in the morning where your brain doesn’t work, try this; hopefully you’ll like it as much as we did.