I am officially freeeeeeee!
That’s right; I have finally graduated and now have my MBA. Picture me doing an awkward happy dance a la the guy in the yellow shirt from the Choice Hotels commercial.
In fact, embedded video below if you want to check it out.
So was I seriously dancing like that? Yes, yes I was – don’t judge.
But anyway, the last few weeks have been absolutely insane which is why I’m way way way behind on my posting. I’m so glad that I’ll finally have the time to start writing about random recipe adventures again! Work is still crazy, but I at least have the relief of not having ridiculous amounts of hours of my week devoted to school.
Keeping how far behind I am in mind, I have about 2 months’ worth of post to get through so some of these dishes aren’t as seasonal as I would like (but still tasty I promise).
This one was a slow cooker vegetarian stew that was absolutely delicious. Things at school were just starting to get crazy and I was desperate for a fix it and forget it. Plus my CSA had come with okra so it was a double bonus that I got to use it up.
And sorry, this is not a FoodJaunt’s original, I slightly adapted it from a SavvyVegetarian. Served over some rice with some mango chutney mixed in and it was surprisingly delicious and the perfect fix it and forget it meal to come home to after a long day.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrot coins or sliced baby carrots
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 lb okra, sliced (or you can use 12 oz frozen okra defrosted)
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 – 1 ½ Tbsp Jamaican curry powder (I used 1 ½ Tbsp because I love strong flavors)
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken stock if you’re not strictly vegetarian
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ½ cup of mango chutney (optional but recommended, although that may just be because we’re mango chutney fanatics)
- Simplest directions ever! Put all ingredients in slow cooker, mix well, cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours. When done, taste and add salt and pepper until perfect. If you’d like, put a bit of mango chutney on the stew after serving and mix it in for additional flavor.
Note - if you serve this with 1/2 cup of rice per serving bump up the calories to 489 and fat to 7.2g.