Do you love hummus?
Are you a mushroom maniac?
Are peppers and onions your fav?
Do you like gooey melty cheese?
Lol, but seriously. If you’re a fan of the ingredients mentioned above you will love these. They’re deliciously messy.
I’ve mentioned before that we’ve been saving for a down payment on a house and in our quest to cut our already limited spending budget even more; I started cooking dinner five nights a week instead of the typical four that I used to make.
Since I added another meal to save money we’ve actually been eating two vegetarian meals a week since produce is a heck of a lot cheaper than meat. Plus with our awesome CSA hooking us up on a weekly basis I’ve always got something fresh and local.
Now my husband likes to playfully (I think, err…hope?) complain about how he’s not a vegetarian, blah blah blah Yet every time I actually serve him these vegetarian dishes I never hear any complaints about the flavor and usually hear him talking about how much he likes the dish – go figure.
We’re also giant fans of cheesesteaks so when I ran across this vegetarian version I was sold. A generous amount of hummus gets spread across some cute mini sub buns (whole wheat even!) I found, topped with sautéed mushrooms, peppers and onions, then all topped off with a slice of provolone and thrown under the broiler to melt the cheese and lightly toast the bun.
I used a reduced fat provolone and roasted garlic hummus (my fav!) but feel free to customize it and make it your own.
- 4 whole grain mini sub buns – alternatively you could just use two full size hoagie buns cut in half width-wise
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 8 oz of hummus (I used roasted garlic hummus, but pick you fav flavor)
- 4 slices of reduced fat cheese (I used reduced fat provolone)
- Preheat broiler. Pull out some of the inside for the buns to slightly hollow them out. Place on a broiler safe pan cut sides up and broil for 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat high. Add mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes. Season with soy sauce, crushed red pepper, thyme and black pepper and continue to cook for another 2 – 3 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Spread hummus on both sides of bread (about 2 oz per sandwich). Rip each cheese slice into two pieces length-wise. Top one side of bun with vegetable mixture and place two halves of one pieces of cheese over veggies to make four sandwiches.
- Place sandwich halves back on broiler safe pan and broiler another minute or two until the cheese is melted.
Adapted from Cooking Light.