I’ve become obsessed with the holidays lately. Don’t they seem like they come earlier and earlier every year? I mean, it’s like what, mid-September – why on Earth am I already planning for Thanksgiving?!
Honestly, I’m not even ready/don’t really want to let go of summer. Here in Ohio, we get all four seasons. I’m fine with Fall/Spring but come Winter and I’m one unhappy camper.
Sure, I mean, I like the idea of winter – hot chocolate, roaring fires and snuggly sweaters but the actual trudging through the slush and needing to scrape ice from my car is not something I’m that big a fan of.
See how easily that happens for me? Suddenly I’ve jumped straight over Thanksgiving and moved on to Christmas *argh!*
So let me take another stab at summer’s bounty. Unfortunately with the craziness of finishing up my MBA, I ended up a bit behind which means a few of my upcoming posts may seem a bit out of sync.
Take this dish for example, it was actually the beginning of June when I made it and my CSA box was bursting with arugula, garlic scapes, broccoli and potatoes. Garlic scapes have such a short season, so feel free to use regular garlic in the recipe instead (and it will be noted).
Don’t be turned off by the seemingly long ingredient list – the side requires minimal hands on time and everything bakes in the same oven and finishes at the same time.
- 1 large head of broccoli (or a 12 oz bag of florets)
- 8 oz red potatoes, cut into ¼ inch dice
- ¾ Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp oil from sun dried tomato jar
- 2 sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Smoked paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut in half width-wise then pounded to ¼ inch thickness (or just use 4 chicken cutlets and pound to thin out)
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¾ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- 12 oz arugula, wilted then squeezed dry (could also use defrosted frozen spinach squeezed dry)
- 3 sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 4 garlic scapes finely chopped (or 2 cloves of garlic, minced)
- 2 oz herbed goat cheese
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp oil extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each chicken breast in half width-wise (place hand on top of chicken and cut through with your knife parallel to the cutting board and your hand. Tip – throw it in the freezer for about 15 minutes before attempting to make it easier to slice).
- Season both sides of the chicken with Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Combine arugula through goat cheese (under ingredients for chicken). Taste and adjust seasoning. Divide filling evenly between the four pieces of chicken and carefully roll chicken up then dredge each side of chicken in flour and set aside, seam side down.
- Combine olive oil through salt and pepper (under ingredients for broccoli and potatoes) in a mini food chop. Process until well combined then toss with broccoli and potatoes and place in a non-stick sprayed roasting pan. Roast vegetables in oven for 15 minutes.
- As vegetables are roasting, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet and brown on one side (about 3 – 4 minutes). Flip chicken (wait if necessary to put chicken in until vegetables have been in the oven for 15 minutes) then place skillet in oven and continue to cook vegetables and chicken for another 15 – 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft. If you like your vegetables more “roasty” you can continue to cook them after removing the chicken and allowing it to rest. Sprinkle roasted vegetables with 2 Tbsp Parmesan and divide everything into 4 servings.
This recipe is a bit on the high side but includes the entire meal and is mostly due to the use of olive oil, a healthy fat. If you make the recipe as is the nutritional info would be 511 calories and 19 g of fat.
If that's a bit over your caloric budget, feel free to make only the chicken and serve with a big vegetable heavy salad to round the meal out. Approximate nutritional info for only chicken is 364 calories and 13.5g of fat.